What is Level IIIB Neonatal ICU
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, a level IIIB Neonatal ICU is able to:
- Provide comprehensive care for infants less than 28 weeks gestation and less than 1000 grams birth weight
- Provide advanced respiratory support such as high-frequency ventilation or inhaled nitric oxide
- Perform major surgical procedures on neonates (excluding ECMO and repair of complex congenital heart defects requiring cardiopulmonary bypass)
- Provide prompt and on-site access to a full range of pediatric subspecialty consultants as well as pediatric surgical and anesthesia specialists
- Provide advanced imaging support on an urgent basis, including CT, MRI, and echocardiography.