Child Life Program
What is Child Life at NCBH:
- A Child Life Specialist is a professional who is specially trained to help children and their families better understand and manage challenging life events and stressful healthcare experiences.
- Proven developmental, educational, and therapeutic intervention for children and their families.
- Support for growth and development
- Psychological preparation for children undergoing invasive procedures has been shown to reduce the patient’s anxiety, increase cooperation, reduce the need for sedation, and improved patient and parental satisfaction.
- The Child Life Department at North Central Baptist Hospital is a fundamental part of your child’s healthcare team.
Child Life’s goals are to:
- Promote normal growth and development
- Reduce the stress of hospitalization
- Provide support to patients and their families
These goals are accomplished through providing developmentally appropriate activities for patients; educating and preparing children for medical procedures and treatments; and serving as a resource for parents regarding child development and hospitalization issues.
Child Life at North Central Baptist Hospital advocates the patients' and families' needs and promotes involvement during hospitalization. The Child Life Specialist functions as vital member of the North Central Baptist Hospital healthcare team.
Child Life Playroom:
The Pediatric Unit has a playroom, for noninfectious patients only, equipped with toys and games. The hours for the playroom are located on the playroom door. Children may go to the playroom, if possible, and in accordance with their diagnosis. We must ask that children with infectious or contagious diseases refrain from entering the playroom. Toys and games are available to be taken into patient rooms. We ask that you leave those toys in your room until you are discharged, as we will sanitize them prior to bringing them back to the playroom. The playroom is a child’s “safe place” in the hospital. No treatments or procedures will be allowed in the playroom. No food or drink may be brought to the playroom.
Pet-assisted Therapy Program
Anyone who owns a dog knows that they are loyal and comforting friends. For a child dealing with illness or injury, a therapy dog can provide endless comfort and unconditional love. The specially trained and certified dogs that visit North Central Baptist hospital provide a non-threatening experience for the children. The Pet-assisted Therapy dogs come to the hospital on most Fridays to visit our patients. These dog our certified and screened in order to become a therapy dog by Paws for Service and Delta Society.
Your Child Life Specialist is: Christian Smith
Child Life Blog